Tuesday, September 30, 2008

John McCain, circa 2000

You know, I had almost forgotten about something. Way back in the winter of 1999-2000, John McCain spoke to a crowd of people in Manhattan's financial district. At the time he was George W. Bush's competition for the Republican nomination. I was in the crowd. And I was supporting John McCain.

Don't shoot! At the time, I believed money in politics was the greatest evil - actually, I still believe that - and John McCain had been leading on that issue. I figured that if he could clean up politics, it wouldn't matter how conservative he was; we'd finally be able to get good people in office. Sorry to say, that never worked out.

Anyway, it's hard to remember a time when Presidential candidates had to be concerned about racial profiling, but that was the case then. McCain gave his little talk, and at the end of it, I shouted, "What is your position on racial profiling?" Things were too hectic for him to hear me, but a bunch of crazies immediately descended upon me handing me all sorts of literature about George Bush.

Huh. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure that was the first time I spoke aloud in public about a political issue.

No comments: